Welcome

Welcome to my Cobra Replica build blog.
Please contact me if you would like to know more detail as i progress."CR3514@live.com.au"
Regards
Dave

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Inlet Tray - Part 2.

Some more progress on the inlet tray.
After completing the mold, I took it to Fiberglass Concepts in Pakenham.
Mario Licciardi the owner finished the mold surface, before laying up two parts with a combination of weave and chop.

The intention is to put away one of the parts to use as a plug if I needed later, or as a backup if i stuffed up my first attempt at machining up to fit the quads.


This is the mold as I finished it before Mario coated with Gel-coat and prepared for laying up some parts.

















This is the mold after a couple of parts have been done.
A bit worse for wear, a chunk of plaster I used for the radius-ed edges came away in the bottom RH corner.

Repairable with a bit of filling and sanding.
However, if I need to make another, I would use the second part as a plug for a new mold.







The part out of the mold with flange still on the side.









Next job was to make some mounting rings to fit to the tray which would finish off the edges and locate the air cleaners.




150 x 50 mm billet of 2011 Aluminium


























Lots of chips later, 2 inlet tray mounting rings.












Removed the flange and cut out the 2 quad holes.
In this pic, you can also see I've surface a flat area around the holes for the Air Cleaners to sit level and flush.

The tray thickness is fairly consistent at about 4 mm, but has high spots in it where the chop was used.
Hence the need to surface the Air-Cleaner seats.



Rings inserted into the tray

A bit of a buffing will polish out the Gel-coat scratches.








Finished up the inside with Stone Guard paint, then coated in Satin Black paint

I'm going to use the Motorspray Stone Guard paint on the under-body as well.
I bought the optional nozzle attachment for spraying which works excellent.
Several very light coats allowing to dry a few minutes between each coat builds up a very thick rubbery feeling surface which can be over-painted in what ever paint you want.





All that's left is to locate a hole in the tray and Air-Cleaner for IAT (Inlet Air Temp) sender.